Junior Bulletins 2017-2018
Orangeburg Prep's School Code is 411553.
Below are the test and registration dates for the SAT & ACT:
Click on the bulleted list below for announcements for Juniors from the Guidance Office
- Junior parent letter 17-18
- Junior Academic Awards...Click here for a list of awards your eleventh grader can earn!
- Best Buy Scholarship Program is awarding 1,100 scholarships of $1,000 each to students in grades 9th-12th living in the United States. Students who demonstrate good grades, commitment to community service and/or work experience are eligible to apply. Apply online at http://pr.bby.com.
- Remember, juniors have two college cut days available to them during their second semester! Use them wisely and be sure to check with the secretary in the Attendance Office for requirements before going! As seniors, you will also have two college cut days that you can use during the fall.
If your student has not yet reached his/her target SAT or ACT score by Spring 2018, please register him/her for the 2018 August SAT or ACT. By doing this, the scores will be back in good time to be sent to all of the colleges to which he/she intends to apply to. Also, be aware that when registering, you may choose 4 schools for the testing company to send your scores without charge; if need be, you may send scores to additional colleges at a later date for a $9-10 fee each. Remember, most schools will take the highest Reading and Math, no matter which test date the score comes from.
Each junior student should take the ACT + the writing portion at least once to see if he/she happens to score better on that test vs. the SAT. Usually the scores are close to equivalent, but sometimes this is not the case; if there is a significant difference in the two test scores, your son/daughter may want to pursue the higher-scoring test for his/her target score rather than the other.
Whatever the score, whatever the test and even if the Life Scholarship score is met on the first try, it is usually wise to take one or the other test between 3, 4, or 5 times! Remember, the higher the SAT/ACT score is, the more scholarship dollars the student will qualify for!
The LIFE Scholarship requirements are 1) have a cumulative 3.0 GPA or above upon HS graduation, 2) an SAT of 1100 OR ACT of 24 OR be in the top 30% of your graduating class upon graduation.
- All colleges have information on their websites describing their college visit/tour specifics. Check the colleges out that you are possibly interested in attending after you complete your junior year in 2014! NOW is the time to start looking.
- NOW! Juniors are reminded to take the SAT and the ACT ASAP .....especially if you have not taken each test at least once already! Some students test better on one test or the other, and it is very helpful to realize this early, if this is the case! It is also nice to already have reached your target score by September of your senior year, since this is when you will be sending college applications off.
Washington Youth Tour: Aiken Electric Cooperative sends up to seven high school juniors on an all-expense paid trip to our nation's capital. Apply By February 1, 2018 at www.aikenco-op.org.
|January 12||Juniors to State House / Supreme Court|
The students are required to work at least three hours during the week in order to attend the prom. We are present to work from 3-8 on Monday thru Thursday as well as Friday morning. Most students will work far more hours than that however. Do not allow your child to schedule any appointments until after lunch on Friday just in case we need them to work Friday morning. We may be asking you to donate items to assist in decorating the gym. This is always a fun and exciting time for the students and teachers.