Contact our Guidance Office for any questions concerning scheduling, courses, scholarships, grades, or to schedule a conference with one of our teachers.
Announcements from the Guidance Office
Here are some web sites to check out for financial help for colleges:
Good Sources for free SAT/ACT/PSAT/PLAN Practice
Other resource books, software, study guides, etc. are available through such sources as Amazon, Books-a-Million, Barnes and Nobles, and online. Below are some samples:
1. The Official SAT Study Guide, 2nd edition by The College Board
2. College Handbook 2014 (College Board College Handbook) by The College Board
3. Get It Together for College: A Planner to Help You Get Organized and Get In by The College Board
4. Cracking the SAT, 2014 Edition (College Test Preparation) by Princeton Review
5. 11 Practice Tests for the SAT & PSAT, 2014 Edition (College Test Preparation) by Princeton Review
6. 11 Practice Tests for the SAT and PSAT, 2014 Edition (College Test Preparation) by Princeton Review
7. Gruber's Complete SAT Guide 2014, 13E by Gary Gruber
Reminders: Please make sure your student has applied to at least 3 - 4 colleges, especially if their grades and/or test scores are not stellar. The most popular colleges in SC continue to become more difficult to be accepted to, so other schools should be applied to as well.
Click on each topic for more information:
- Top Apps for Test Prep
- Five Free SAT Apps Worth Downloading
- Click here for more information on taking the SAT.
Announcements / Opportunities
- Are you a middle level or high school student who's making a difference through volunteering? If so, you should apply for a 2018 Prudential Spirit Community Award and you could win $1000 and a trip to Washington, DC in late April. Please visit
spirit.prudential.com or nassp.org/spirit to access the application.
- Parents, don't forget to work on your FAFSA so that you will be ready to submit when your W-2's are returned to with total yearly income. Check with each of the colleges that your student has applied to for their FAFSA deadline!
- The SunTrust Scholarship Sweepstakes is now open to high school seniors. Enter the SunTrust “Off to College Scholarship Sweepstakes” for a chance to win a $500 scholarship to help cover education expenses. Enter at: suntrusteducation.com/scholarshipsweepstakes
- The 2018 Journalism Contest sponsored by the SC Governor's Committee on Employment of People with Disabilities is open. For complete rules on eligibility requirements, please visit journalism.scvrd.net. The deadline to apply is 2/1/18. More information can be found on the bulletin board across from the main office.
- USC does have certain scholarships that students must apply for SEPARATELY from the entrance application process. There is an Alumni Legacy Scholars Award for those students who have a close family member who is a USC alumni AND have a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale and at least an 1180 on the SAT or 26 on the ACT. There are also a number of other scholarships that you must apply for SEPARATELY, some whose deadline application date is November 15. Please come by OPS Guidance to see a listing of deadlines and requirements for these; OR go to USC's website-----www.sc.edu/admissions.
- Seniors applications to colleges should be submitted no later than November of their senior year. Check out the application deadline dates for each. Also, download the form that Guidance needs to complete and deliver it to Guidance with your name filled in. We can then start our part of the process. In the meantime, begin your part of the application and submit. Also, make sure you have submitted your SAT/ACT scores to each college you are applying; colleges usually require the scores to come directly from the testing company (you can do this online).
- Students who are interested in applying to Anderson University can apply online free---no application fee!
- If you want an early start on financing college, go to www.scstudentloan.org. This will give you an idea on what is available. Example: If your child is interested in teaching, search on this site for the TEACH program!